Map View


Church of St Mary the Virgin

Church, churchyard and separate bell cage of St Mary the Virgin. Possible Domesday minster site.

Details

A church is listed in East Bergholt in the Domesday survey. A second church is also documented for East Bergholt and is thought to be located in Shotley (S3). Church of St. Mary: Perpendicular. W tower (not completed) & brick gable to E crowned by C18 cupola. Also chancel, side chapels, nave, clerestory, aisles, S porch with upper storey. Church partly flint and partly brick. W tower was begun in 1525 with stone base with quatrefoil frieze and a passage through S aisle of coursed flint. A new aisle is mentioned in a document of 1442-3. Battlements decorated with many shields, two storeyed S porch. Polygonal turret in the W angle between porch and aisle. N aisle mainly brick with polygonal turret at E end. Ornate N doorway with canopied niches with shields for decoration. Interior with 5-bay arcades, two centred arches. Med wooden bell cage in churchyard. One storeyed with steep pyramid roof with louvred top. Remains of tomb low down in N chancel aisle. Camels are chief feature (S1)(S2). Scarfe records this as a possible Domesday Minster (S3). 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.