Map View


East Bergholt historic settlement core

Indicative area of the historic settlement core of East Bergholt.

Details

Indicative area of the historic settlement core of East Bergholt, defined from historic maps, the locations of listed buildings and recorded sites including Domesday church/minster (EBG 014), Old Hall (EBG 023, to N of Old Hall park - EBG 045), bank earthwork (EBG 024) and human skull EBG 008 (S1, S2, S3). Note: Hodskinson's mapping shows the principal area of settlement to the N of the church along The Street, Gaston Street and Gaston End and shows the principal house to the N of the church whereas the 'Old Hall' site (EBG 023) is to the S - presumably an error unless it depicts an earlier version of Gaston House (which is circa 1840 according to the Listing) rather than the Hall? The depiction of Hodskinson suggests the settlement extended N to High Trees Farmhouse though there is presently a slight gap in settlement around Chaplin Road. John Kirby in the 1730s-1760s (John Kirby's Suffolk: his maps and roadbooks; Dymond D (ed), Suffolk Records Soc, Vol XLVII, 2004, 97-98) states 'Cloth Manufacture formerly flourished here, and there is something of it still remaining; it is supposed to have been a market town, but the market is now disused. Here is a fair yearly at Whitsuntide. The church is a very good structure, but the steeple is in ruins; yet there is a good ring of bells in a cage in the churchyard, which are rung by hand. A little south of the curch is a neat mansion builyt not many years since by Chaplin Esq; from whom it descended to Sir Henry Hankey, Knt, one of the present Aldermen of London. It is now a country seat for that family'. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.