Flatford MillLate C15 open hall with cross wing incorporating C14 features. Rear range probably C17. Small later addition to left. Renovated and restored to original form C20. Timber-framed.
Interestingly the Lucam (from where the hay was taken in from the cart below) is on the north side gable along the roadside, where as Constables 'Flatford Mill' 1810-1811 clearly shows the Lucam facing the mill pond.
Another change from this sketch that isnt thought to be artistic licence is the cottage has been extended westwards, and omits to show the grand porch presumably built after this painting was completed, the grand porch built by Golding Constable's son Arbram who moved into the Mill house when their income deteriorated and they had to leave East Bergholt House in the centre of the village (C1840)
House. Late C15 open hall with cross wing incorporating C14 features. Rear range probably C17. Small later addition to left. Renovated and restored to original form C20. Timber-framed. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. Open hall with 2-storey, 2-bay jettied cross wing to left and through passage and 2-storey service wing to right. Close studding with middle rail. Plank door under chamfered Tudor arch. 6-light diamond mullion hall window. Small 2-light mullion window to left of entrance. 4-light mullion window to service range. 3-light cross casements with leaded lights to cross wing with jettied gable end and tension braces to first floor. Pent roof to upper window. Roof hipped at right. Ridge stack to left of entrance and further stack to left return of cross wing. Further diamond mullion windows and plank door under chamfered Tudor arch to rear. Rear range heightened and altered, underbuilt in brick. Interior: framing exposed. Open hall has pair of chamfered posts with arch braces to chamfered cambered tie-beam supporting octagonal crown post with moulded base and capital, braced to purlin and collar. Down braces to end walls. Shutter groove to hall window. Through passage to right with paired doorways to service range with plank doors under Tudor arches. Original stairs to service range along rear wall. Inglenook fireplace with cambered moulded bressumer containing moulded brick arched recess at left, massive stepped stack. To first floor of service range to hall side a blocked elliptical-arched moulded brick fireplace. Jettied range: exposed framing including wall plate showing edge-halved scarf joint. Blocked diamond mullion window. To centre, pair of posts with arch braces to cambered tie beam which supports a short octagonal crown post with capital of 3 convex mouldings of probable mid C14 date. (Attic floor inserted). C14 roof structure in combination with later features in walling suggests a probable C15 reconstruction of this wing. Grade I status reflects the historic interest of the building and its extra significance as part of the Flatford Mill group. Leased by the National Trust to The Field Studies Council and used as the Warden's House.