lost Pubs of East Bergholt
Interestingly we have found a number of different references to ‘Lost pubs of East Bergholt’, a number of names we recognise, some we don’t, but rumour has it that there were as many as 14 at one point, albeit a number of them probably front room beer houses, but apart from the current pubs The Hare & Hounds, The Royal Oak (The Dickie), The Carriers & The Lion, we have reference also to a number of others:
In 1874 The Ipswich Journal published a really interesting article from their archives mentioning 4 pubs, but no specific names, however it read:
‘In 1651. The townsfolk met at the house of John Neave, and made the following regulations about their public-houses. It is agreed that there shall be but foure houses licensed for drawings of beere, two in the Streete, one at Gaston’s end and the other being the fourth at Bakers end’
In 1869, Post office directory listed amongst 9 beer houses in the parish, as did a separate article of the same year in The Chronicle.
We can find reference to 4 beer houses in 1651, The White Horse at Bakers End, and 3 pubs not named, 2 in the street and 1 at Gaston’s End.
By 1840 we found reference to The Ship (possibly down Dazeley’s lane), The Bear, The Eagle, The Three Cups, and The Pig & Whistle, but these were probably front room beer houses at the time.
By 1843 both The Beehive gets a mention and in 1869 The Red Lion (previously The Fountain), as does The Kings Head, the Carriers, The Hare & Hounds, and The Kicking Donkey beer house (The Dickie)
We found reference to The Welcome Soldier by the mid 1800’s - Located on the Manningtree Road we don’t know for how many years this operated as a beer house as only found reference to 2 landlords. The First, Gemma Clark (Innkeeper) and when she died in 1872 it was transferred to her brother in law. By 1880 the pub was auctioned off for £260 so presumably it continued operating after that date, however Wheelers took over the site.
One local (Norman) remembers helping pulling down the old buildings for Wheelers when he first started work. He also recalls a chap called Erne Lucas living in one of the houses and another called Sixer (Sixer could tie his moustache in a bow around the back of his head!)
The site of The Welcome Soldier is now Cordwinders.
If we collate all this information from official records and newspaper articles, this is what we can deduce:
Year pub location Landlord
1651 not named The Street Stephen Skynner
1651 not named The Street
1651 not named Gaston’s End Edward Newton
1651 White Horse Bakers End Anthony Bunn
1670 The Fountain (which later became the Lion) The Street
1732 Kings Arms Ale House (opporsit The Gables) The Street Sparrow (late Hewitt)
1732 The Pelican (near what is now Stour) Henry May
1732 Fountain Tavern (now the Lion) The Street Thomas Knapp
1732 Shears Ale House Eleys Corner John Sparrow
1732 Kings Head Burnt Oak Mr William Trotman
1732 Bell Ale House (now the Hare & Hounds) Mr William Trotman
1840 The Ship (rumor says this was in Dazelys Lane)
1840 The Bear
1840 The Eagle
1840 White Horse Bakers End
1840 The Three Cups
1843 The Beehive (see Ipswich Journal article below)
1869 Kings Head Thomas Pyett
1869 The Carriers Henry Folkard | carpenter & beer retailer
1869 ? Thomas Folkard | beer retailer
1869 White Horse Bakers End Charles Mann
1869 Kings Head George Nichols | beer retailer
1869 Red Lion William Mayes
1869 Hare & Hounds John Aldous (beer retailer & carpenter)
1869 not named but presume Welcome Soldier Gemma Clark | beer retailer
1871 Welcome Soldier (or Sailor) Manningtree Road Gemma Clark | InnKeeper
1872 The Carriers Mr Folkard
1872 Kings Head George Nichols
1881 The Carriers James Ramsey
1891 The Carriers James Ramsey
1901 The Hare and Hounds James Ramsey
1901 The Carriers Thomas Folkard
If you have any additional information or photographs then please do get in touch.