Items:401
Page: 1 2 3 14
 
 
Reputed chapel site said to be visible as cropmark at TM 078 334 (S1). Not substantiated. Formerly recorded as EBG MISC
Map List
 
Curving trackway cropmark (S1) W end cut by modern reservoir/lake but probably led to moat EBG 001.
Map List
 
Archaeology in Suffolk 2016
Map List
 
Site of bridge over the River Stour shown on Hodskinsons map of 1783.
Map List
Historic Record
Lattinford Hill
 
Metal detector finds of bronze coins: sestertius, C1/C2; AS, C1; ?Dupondius, C1/C2.
Map List
 
Cropmarks of rectilinear ditch systems, trackways, ? ring ditch, circa 16m in diameter (S1)(S2).
Map List
Achaeological Site
test 2
  Map List
 
Dodnash Priory, Augustinian, founded 1188, dissolved 1525.- Scheduled Monument
Map List
Historic Record
Old Hall
 
Bank circa 6-7 feet high to E of `Old Hall, semi-circular, close to being circular.
Map List
Historic Record
Lattinford Bridge
 
Sherds, brick fragments, animal bone.
Map List
 
Site of bridge shown on 1880s OS map where named Fen Bridge. Crosses tributary of River Stour.
Map List
Covers only the village centre, and needs extending to protect the rest of the village!

The East Bergholt Conservation Area encompasses an area of land bordering Gaston Street, The Street and Rectory Hill, between the two main settled parts of the village. The Conservation Area is wholly within the Dedham Vale AONB.

Map List
Historic Record
Lattinford Hill (Rom)
 
Metal detector find of bronze coin, AS of Vespasian of AD 71.
Map List
 
Traces small rectilinear enclosure or field system, S of ?Rom road, EBG 002 (S1).
Map List
Achaeological Site
Area A
 

Sensitive area archaeologically. At the northern tip of the parish, the site is focussed on the A12 where it follows the line of the ancient Roman road from Colchester to Baylham.  Discoveries on both sides of the modern road include Roman pottery, coins, metal objects and brick fragments. These, together with the remains of timber buildings, indicate the presence of one or more Roman settlements.

Map List
 
Church, churchyard and separate bell cage of St Mary the Virgin. Possible Domesday minster site.
Map List
 
Earthwork banks 2m high surrounding 55m by 35m enclosed oval area.
Map List
 
Domed lead spindle whorl (S1).
Map List
 
Farm buildings shown on 1880s OS map.
Map List
 

The Donkey Track is a long-established footpath which runs northwards from Gandish Road across what was originally the village "heath" or "common".

To the south-west of the track, the undulating land is divided by the Riber stream which continues across Rectory Hill and eventually down to the Stour.

The western boundary is created by the rear of The Old Rectory and properties which face Rectory Hill, The Street, and Gaston Street.

The north-eastern side of the track is distinguished by a 20-year-old woodland at the southern end leading to cultivated fields divided by hedges leading up to Heath Road/Mill Road, the main vehicular route around East Bergholt. The rear of the 1970's Richardson Road estate and the Medical Surgery complex abut the land to the north.

Map List
 
Metal detector find of bronze coin - sestertius of Commodus (AD 180-192), rev illegible, very corroded. Possible Late Saxon decorated bone comb
Map List
 
Human skull found in road widening spoil opposite the Carriers Arms.
Map List
Achaeological Site
Area B
 

Area B covers Gastons End, one of the satellite hamlets to the medieval village of East Bergholt, bordering a triangular green at the northwestern tip of East Bergholt Heath.

Map List
 
Square, flat, bronze (copper? - reddish metal) mount with enamelled front.
Map List
 
Monitoring revealed two small undated pits that contain burnt flint.
Map List
Historic Record
Lattinford
 
Two pits, said to be 4 feet rectangular, circa 22 feet deep.
Map List
 
Mid 19th C Outbuilding - 3 existing compartments: stable, enclosed shed & open shed
Map List
 

This section runs from the village centre at the Gaston Street junction, from The Gables* along the western side of Hadleigh Road to the junction with Hughes Road (* The Gables is a listed building which sits in the current Conservation Area).

While the eastern side of the road is not for conservation area consideration, (mainly lined with set-back 20thC and 21stC houses and the school playing field), it does contribute to the attractive natural tree cover that characterizes the road.

Together with the western side, the mature trees create a pleasing “tunnel” effect over the road at all seasons. The tree-lined frontages for historic buildings such as Gatton House and Ackworth House, which are spaced out along the road, with driveway entrances such as the one for the Gattinets business units. Generally, these historic buildings are only partly visible from the road where the vegetation predominates, with no pavement on this side.

At the top Hadleigh Road intersects with Hughes Road and Elm Road, before it continues northwards. Here there is a large open meadow in front of the historic Allens Farmstead, and features the gated drive to the Grade 2* -listed “The Lodge”, which is not really visible from the road.

Map List
 
1997?: Scatter of Rom pottery (not seen, date?) found with a small lead figurine (metal detected?).
Map List
 
Extensive cropmark pattern of ditches etc, cut by Dead Lane.
Map List